Monday, October 31, 2011

Meatless Monday Halloween style

UPDATED WITH THE LIQUID in the pancake recipe! So sorry I left that out ladies!!
I haven't done a Meatless Monday post for quite some time and thought I'd share the recipes we have been eating most lately. When Joe went into town last, he brought home 7 cans of "pumpkin" puree! YAY! We love us some orange veggie puree! We have used pumpkin in custard, pancakes, bread, yogurt, pie/cheesecake, and a few other recipes too. I don't know why we felt the need to wait until "fall" (which is def more like winter for us) to eat this deliciousness... or do the stores not carry it year round?
We had a pretty successful Halloween party yesterday and mean ol me is handing out toothbrushes, toothpaste, and floss to the 3-4 trick or treaters in the village tonight (don't worry Joe refuses... he is handing out candy leftover from the party LOL!). I will post lots of pictures soon!

Pumpkin Pancakes
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup water
1/4 cup +1 Tbsp pumpkin
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 c melted butter +more for greasing your skillet
4 eggs
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Grease your iron skillet with butter and preheat to medium-medium high temp. Mix the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Mix until combined. Plop about 1/4 cup batter into heated pan and cook like you would normally cook pancakes ;) Makes ... a lot? I should have written that down last time but I forgot to. It is enough to feed our family and have 1 or 2 leftover though!
Serve with pure maple syrup, homemade whipped cream, and coffee (for the old man).




Pumpkin Yogurt
1 24oz tub traditional plain Greek Yogurt (we prefer the greek gods brand)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice

Enlist a kid to help you. Mix it all together. Serve. OR mix it together and add it to your ice cream maker for some amazing frozen yogurt. We have to double this recipe to feed our family... we eat this quickly!

As always, please let me know if you have any questions about the recipes... I don't always write down things properly... I usually shake a little of this or that and it's never the same twice... it's my Italian father's fault. Sorry. ;)

No comments: