Big lake is one of the many fish-less lakes that dot the waterlogged (yet incredibly dry...parched!) landscape of Interior Alaska. It didn't used to be fish-less, but b/c of oxygen content, all the fish died...anyway, there's rumors that pike still live in the lake. Didn't make sense to me at first, b/c I wondered what the pike would eat if they were the only fish...then one of the kids pointed out that they would eat the baby ducks (big lake=big fish!)...the existence of the pike are a constant debate.
I've been up to Big Lake on three occasions. The first was my high school camping trip fiasco, the one where I stayed up to 2 am, went moose hunting and had to deal with surly teenagers refusing to do anything in the morning. The next time, we showed the landscape to Donna and Eric and took some pictures; the lake is just incredible to stand and gaze out on; placid waters, a couple of tiny islands, trees surrounding, mountains in the distance (sigh). Anyway, we didn't stay long that time because molly crapped her pants (end serene moment). I did show everyone the "bridge" that was built down the road from Big Lake, which was just a log bridge, no side rails, with the logs being held down only by their weight (good for four-wheelers...not for truck). The third time we came up, I played "Alaskan Guide" to Donna and Eric, taking them deep into bear country, carrying my newly-acquired 300 Mag with me for protection; saw LOTS of bear crap and some tracks of a smaller black bear, but no bear yet (wait for March). It was still nice to walk among the white birch forrest with no one around but the three of us...and a little creepy, too! Lets just say we kept talking the whole time (did NOT want to "sneak" up on Yogi!).
I've been up to Big Lake on three occasions. The first was my high school camping trip fiasco, the one where I stayed up to 2 am, went moose hunting and had to deal with surly teenagers refusing to do anything in the morning. The next time, we showed the landscape to Donna and Eric and took some pictures; the lake is just incredible to stand and gaze out on; placid waters, a couple of tiny islands, trees surrounding, mountains in the distance (sigh). Anyway, we didn't stay long that time because molly crapped her pants (end serene moment). I did show everyone the "bridge" that was built down the road from Big Lake, which was just a log bridge, no side rails, with the logs being held down only by their weight (good for four-wheelers...not for truck). The third time we came up, I played "Alaskan Guide" to Donna and Eric, taking them deep into bear country, carrying my newly-acquired 300 Mag with me for protection; saw LOTS of bear crap and some tracks of a smaller black bear, but no bear yet (wait for March). It was still nice to walk among the white birch forrest with no one around but the three of us...and a little creepy, too! Lets just say we kept talking the whole time (did NOT want to "sneak" up on Yogi!).




No comments:
Post a Comment