Sunday, September 26, 2010

What is a Lifebook?

I have been reading everything about adoption I can. I recently went through the books the library has and picked random titles. The one I am reading now is “Lifebooks Creating a Treasure for the Adopted Child.” I have only read about half of it but it got me thinking. This would be a nice thing to make for our adopted children… including Gavin. He is at the age now where he is asking lots more questions and they get tougher and tougher. I almost always feel like I haven’t explained in a way he can understand or that I have said something I shouldn’t have. I think we all need something consistent to refer back to (especially because I am so scattered brained). The funny thing with Gav is that he knew he was adopted by Joe and he never seemed to care… then all of a sudden one day it was like he finally heard what we were saying and had a million questions. (That caught us off guard!) So maybe all this time he just didn’t understand what we were saying?! Anyway I am brainstorming ways to make this Lifebook thing work for him too. But it's already difficult. I have to deal with my feelings of guilt or insecurities in order to make this work... no one likes doing that. I want to put in child friendly facts and pictures… but when do you tell/add the not so pleasant details? Sometimes it feels like there isn’t another family in the world quite like ours or maybe I just need to get out more ;) Has anyone here made a Lifebook?

1 comment:

Alice Waarvik said...

Amanda says: I think that there are lots of families that are like yours, you just don't know of any. There are plenty of families where there is one parent who surrendered their rights and the other parent remarried and had the child adopted by the new parent. Its a tricky situation when you have to explain things. You and Joe need to discuss what you want Gavin to know and what you would want in a book. I commend you on wanting to make a life book for Gavin; that is a great idea. We were supposed to do life books for our foster kids but never got around to it :/