Friday, January 16, 2009
Positive Attitude
The 3 week snap of -50 weather was broken quite suddenly with a jump to anywhere between 10 and 20 above (depending on who you talked to). Ok, 20 may not sound warm, but to but it in perspective, its like the difference between 10 degrees and 80. You cannot imagine the excitement I felt when I went outside yesterday morning and heard the ice that has caked the roof of our house for months melting into the snow. Then, later that day, the sun rose high enough to shine a orange-less glow on the tops of the pines outside the Middle School window, and we all stopped and stared for about 15 seconds. Its only been these last few days that the sun rises high enough to be out of the orangish sunrise/sunset stage. Between the cool blue light and the "tropical" 20 degree temperature, I feel my mood lifting, even though I know its likely that we will hit at least one more cold spell (but perhaps not!). I feel greater empathy for Narnia then I ever could have previously understood. We shall see if the bright sun and warmer weathers will lift our spirits and convince us that Alaskan living is not so bad and change our mind about an imminent return. Of course, between the upcoming summer and Christmas vacation and a little shin-dig October 9, it may take more than becoming good friends with the sun to convince us to stay...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment